Demystifying Gold Purity: A Journey through 9ct and 18ct Elegance with Emily Burlington

Gold jewellery comes in various purities, each denoted by a "carat" measurement. This measurement indicates the proportion of pure gold mixed with other metals to create the alloy used in jewelry crafting.

At Emily Burlington, we focus on two primary gold purities: 9ct and 18ct.

9ct gold, also known as 375 gold, is composed of 37.5% pure gold and 62.5% other metals, such as copper and silver. This blend enhances the metal's strength and durability, making it a popular choice for everyday jewellery. The result is a piece that withstands wear and tear while maintaining its timeless beauty.

On the other hand, 18ct gold, or 750 gold, boasts a higher gold content of 75%, with the remaining 25% comprising alloy metals. This composition yields a more lustrous, richer hue, perfect for crafting exquisite pieces of fine jewellery. The higher gold content contributes to its increased value and elegance.

The distinct colours of gold are achieved by blending different alloys. Rose gold's warm hue comes from a higher copper content, while white gold's silvery appearance is the result of combining gold with metals like palladium, which are then coated with rhodium. Yellow gold, in its natural state, boasts a classic golden colour whereby brass is used as a primary alloy.

Gold purity is assessed and certified through rigorous processes. Jewellers use acid tests, X-ray fluorescence, and electronic testers to determine the exact composition of the alloy. The carat measurement is then engraved onto the jewellery piece, ensuring transparency and authenticity for buyers.

At Emily Burlington, our dedication to craftsmanship extends to selecting the appropriate gold purity for each creation. Whether it's the durability of 9ct gold or the sophistication of 18ct gold, our pieces showcase not only the metal's brilliance but also our commitment to quality and elegance.

Back to blog